Grey Maclean Sussex Cattle Stud situated ten kilometres from the East London Airport on the main coastal road (R 72) between East London and Port Elizabeth. Started from humble beginnings of three heifers from the Forresters at Cathcart in 1989, it was supplemented with further old cows and calves acquired from the Forresters , pregnant females from the Stotterheim herd, the entire Fiddlewood Stud of Mellie Tarr’s in the East London area when he retired, as well as the choice of the best females from the Robin-Hill Stud of Advocate Lang at Grahamstown when he retired.
Stud Sires have been acquired from:
- Kronsberg Sussex – Wartburg, Natal
- Stotterheim Sussex – Ida, Eastern Cape
- Huntersvlei Sussex – Viljoenskroon, Free State
- Eversar Sussex – Petrus Steyn, Eastern Free State
- Platdrif Sussex – Worcester area, Western Cape
Artificial insemination is used allowing other well known Studs such as Faurzyl and Mardenel to have impact.
To produce tough, medium framed, well muscled bulls showing breadth and depth of body with as smooth a coat as possible for the Sussex breed.
Animals are all raised on heartwater, redwater and gallsick veld, under conditions where ticks are continuously a serious challenge.
Bulls are grown out sufficiently but never under feedlot conditions. Bulls are raised in camps where they are largely expected to graze for themselves in between receiving a morning and afternoon ration, resulting in good muscle development from ample exercise.
The Stud has been challenged by some major hurdles over the years. These have included:
- Serious drought of 1993
- Advent of serious stock theft in 2002, at a stage when the stud had grown to some 80 female animals. Appointment of a security guard on duty from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. followed and cattle are kraaled every night. There was, understandably, a marked impact on weaning weights and re-conception.
- Long drought from 2007 to 2011
The above notwithstanding, the entire Stud has been able to adapt to changing circumstances.
Bulls are priced as competitively as possible. Generally the price quoted only has to have Value-Added- Tax added and includes free delivery of the bull.
IF YOU VALUE THE OLD FASHIONED PRINCIPLES OF HONESTY AND INTEGRITY, THIS IS THE SUSSEX STUD TO DEAL WITH! SUSSEX CATTLE ARE GREAT – BECOME A CLIENT AT GREY MACLEAN AND JOIN THE ADVENTURE!!
CONTACT Grey Maclean Sussex Cattle Stud.